Sunday, October 3, 2010

I Detest PCH

I absolutely, unequivocally detest PCH (Publisher's Clearing House). My Mom has been sucked in by their schemes and seems to really believe that she is going to win one of their dubious prizes--but, of course not if she doesn't order at least three items from their packets of pure evil, even though the literature clearly states that no purchase is necessary to win.

I've started managing their bills for them and realized that she's spending hundreds of dollars a month on this junk. I also found a link online where I could stop them from sending future packets. My husband and I talked about it--if I turned it off, she probably wouldn't notice. She doesn't remember things very well anymore, and my motivation for doing it would be to protect her, not to hurt her. My sister agreed that it would be a good idea.

Then, I had a dream.

I dreamed that PCH sent her a letter asking why she had decided to stop receiving their mailings. In my dream, she was so upset, hurt, and angry that I woke up saddened. I realized I couldn't stop it, not in that way.

So, I decided to talk to Dad about it. He shrugged and said he sees it as a hobby for her. No help there.

Yesterday, she was in a foul mood. I thought I knew what it was about, but it turned out she was freaking out because she couldn't find the papers for three PCH entries (I've told her before not to open more than one at a time, but she forgets).When I found them for her, the change in her demeanor was remarkable. It was so dramatic that I decided at her age, she can do this if she wants. Maybe if I am more reasonable (read: less combatively argumentative) about it, I can help her reduce the amount of money she's spending uselessly, the number of items coming into her already-packed-to-the-gills house, and her delusional thinking that she's actually going to win that $100,000.

Maybe.

I can hope, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment