Saturday, October 2, 2010

Secure Your Own Mask Before Assisting Others

Many people warned me.

If you're going to take care of someone else, make sure you take care of yourself first. It's sort of like when a flight attendant tells you about the oxygen masks on the plane: secure your own mask first before helping others - even children.

Did I listen? Not in the beginning.

You see, I have a tendency to think of myself as Superwoman. I can do it all... and then some. I probably would have been dumb enough to think that I could get my child's mask on before my own if we were on a depressurizing airplane. I heard on a TV show recently that it only takes 20 seconds to lose consciousness. Seriously... 20 seconds.

My parents rely on me every day. I make their meals, do their laundry, take them to appointments, do all the shopping. It seems like there is always something more that needs to be done. And like a good Superwoman, I try to do it all.

After a lot of trial and a while bunch of errors, I've learned that two weeks is the longest I can go without a break (though it's far better if I get some time away once or twice a week). If I don't, it's not a pretty sight.

In other words, I've learned the hard way to make sure I secure my own mask before assisting others - even the elderly.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.1

No comments:

Post a Comment